What Happens if Your Dog ate Vitamin D?

What Happens if Your Dog ate Vitamin D_

Here I will make you familiar about what happens if your dog ate vitamin D. It is essential to possess the knowledge about the role of Vitamin D in your four-legged friend so that you can make out is vitamin D toxic to dogs.

In your pet’s body, the balance of calcium and phosphorus is regulated with the help of multivitamins, especially Vitamin D. If you want to know that-  Is Vitamin D toxic to dogs, then this article will clear your doubts.

Your precious pooch has to face severe consequences if he consumes the excessive amount of vitamin D.

How to identify Dog ate Vitamin D?

Before discussing the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity in dogs, I would like to make you aware of the ways which will assist you in diagnosing the situation.

  • Deeply examine the dog’s diet with the help of clinical experts. The test related to blood count, biochemistry profile, electrolytes, and urinalysis will give you accurate results.
  • In the blood of the pet, you will find the high level of calcium and phosphorous along with the low level of potassium.
  • You may also observe in some dogs’ low level of protein and high level of liver enzymes.
  • Excessive loss of platelets may cause blood clotting disorders.
  • Slow heartbeat along with various abnormalities will indicate you that your pet is suffering from the vitamin D toxicity.

Symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity in dogs

After diagnosing the health issues in your dear pet, let’s discuss in detail the effects of vitamin D overdose in dogs so that you can provide hale and hearty life to your canine. Your pooch will suffer from hypercalcemia which is an electrolyte abnormality. To check this health issue, you have to control the excessive consumption of vitamin D.

  • The vitamin D influence nerve and muscle control in dogs. The overdose may cause muscle tremors, abdominal pain, and seizures.
  • Your pet may suffer from vomiting, extreme salivating, constipation and loss of appetite.
  • Weakness, depression along with increased or decreased thirst and urination that make the condition even worse.
  • The situations get severe when you observe blood in vomit, loss of weight, tarry feces that comprises plasma.

All these are the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity in dogs. These health problems make your pooch so much uncomfortable that you will get depressed on the unsound condition of your beloved pet.

If your dog ate vitamin D in excess, then maybe you can identify the symptoms after 12-48 hours after consumption. It will be the early stage where you will observe the unfortunate health issues like vomiting, dark diarrhea holding blood, fatigue, lack of appetite and drooling.The noticeable weight loss and seizures are detected in the later phase. In case if your valued pooch has eaten large amount then he may suffer from fatalities.

Pet lovers! No need to get panic. In this article, I will guide you about medication which will provide significant relief to your faithful friend.

How to cure the issues of excessive vitamin D?

To provide safe and secure life to your pooch, you have to take care of your loving pooch rigorously. Follow some fundamental guidelines which will help in curing the unhealthy state of your pet.

  • Offer anti-vomiting medication to your pet so that he vomits out the stuff containing the high dose of vitamin D.
  • Cleansing of the intestines which can be made possible if your pet vomits out by taking the doses of charcoal.
  • You have to look after the functioning of Kidney, electrolytes and urine concentration under the consultation of the veterinarian.
  • Do away with the calcium like furosemide from the dog’s body with the help of medicines. The excessive calcium can be flushed out by consuming aggressive IV fluids with 0.9% saline.
  • Check hypercalcemia such as calcitonin with the help of medicines.
  • Work for the reduction of phosphorus for instance phosphate binders by making use of oral gastrointestinal antacids.

Perform all the guiding principles under the supervision of vets appropriately and don’t allow your pet to consume too much vitamin D which proved to be toxic to your pet.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*